The Admissions Counselor serves as one of the primary contacts for prospective students and their family, school counselors, and other individuals or organizations involved in the college selection process. Through representing the University, at both on- and off-campus events, this position is responsible for recruiting and managing an inquiry and applicant pool and for reviewing applications, transcripts, essays, test scores and any other materials submitted by the applicant for the purpose of making admissions decisions within their designated geography-based territory.
The Admissions Counselor will communicate and work with prospective students, primarily by in-person appointments, telephone, email, text, social media sites, and video/virtual chat on the admissions process and opportunities at Georgian Court University.
The Admissions Counselor will be a liaison to at least one GCU department and will be responsible for being the single point of contact and communication for Admissions and the department.
This position requires the ability to travel, both locally and nationally, which will include evening and weekend hours.
The incumbent must be enthusiastic, people-oriented and enjoy working with high school and college students. This position resides in a fun and fast-paced department, and the incumbent should live by details, have exceptional organization skills, and have a positive attitude.
In this role, the incumbent is responsible for:
- Recruiting prospective students through visiting high schools, community colleges, community events, making presentations to classrooms or community events, virtual fairs, and college fairs within a designated geography-based territory.
- Reviewing applications, essays, scores and any other materials submitted by the applicant for the purpose of making admissions decisions or recommendations.
- Creating and maintaining professional relationships with school counselors and advisors and other individuals or organizations involved in the college section process.
- Serving as the primary contact to prospective students and their family, school counselors and advisors, and other individuals or organizations involved in the college selection process.
- Remaining in constant contact with prospective students through multiple mediums, including individual appointments, telephone, email, text, social media sites and video/virtual chat.
- Leading campus tours and conducting informational sessions and prospective student interviews.
- Attending and assisting with the coordination of recruitment functions, including phone-a-thons, counselor workshops, information sessions and open houses.
- Identifying and attending professional development seminars and conferences (both regionally and nationally) and presenting the information to the enrollment staff.
- Representing the office on a variety of University committees as need be.
- Integrating the core values of respect, compassion, integrity, justice and service in all aspects of interaction.
- Other duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- 1 year of experience as an Admissions Counselor or related experience
- Valid driver's license from State of residency.
- Ability and willingness to travel in and out of state.
- Availability and willingness to work evenings and weekend hours.
- Excellent listening, communication, interpersonal and relationship-building skills with the ability to communicate clearly in person and writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, students and the general public
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality
- Ability to work independently, completing work in a thorough and timely manner and balancing competing demands with courtesy and tact
- Excellent professional demeanor
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office
The preferred but not required qualifications for this position are:
- Experience with Ellucian Systems
- Experience with Technolutions SLATE CRM
- A passion and appreciation for travel and interacting with diverse cultures, identities and backgrounds
- Highly innovative, adaptable, creative and analytical
**MUST BE US WORK AUTHORIZED**